Thursday, December 17, 2009

a fish hook in my finger . . .




i am not a virgin when it comes to restorations...and i suspect that if you are reading this blog about restoring an older bmw . . . you aren't a virgin either! . . . i have been down this path before...HOWEVER, i am at a point that is like having a fish hook stuck in my finger...

it will hurt to take it out...or solve the existing problems...

it will hurt to leave it in my finger...or abandon my project...

i spent money with a reputably considered vendor...the quality control of the rings manufacture is suspect...ireland engineering sold me deves piston rings...and (here)...as a part of the piston configuration there are two compression rings top and bottom with an oil sealant ring in the center...the manufacture shipped rings that are .0070 end gap instead of the more typical .0030 end gap . . . creating a potential oil consumption issue on a new rebuilt (read that as costly!). . . discussions of what is correct OEM specifications have occurred...what was delivered actually delivered...what was in the packaging...blah, blah, blah...add to all this the time and cost of this needless delay is..well like a fish hook stuck in my finger...

this engine has been a serious pain in my ass...

No comments:

Post a Comment